There may always be a debate on whether pimento cheese is a dip or a spread, but whatever the case, it is perfect fare for any time of year.
Pimento cheese is nothing more than grated cheese, mayonnaise or some other creamy binder and pimento peppers, but it has made its case as one of THE essential recipes of southern cooking. Gourmet it up however you see fit, with grated onion, smoked cheese, chopped chiles, bacon or a glug of bourbon.
Mix together 2 cups coarsely grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese, 2 cups coarsely grated sharp white cheddar, 1 cup drained pimentos or roasted red peppers, finely chopped and ½ cup mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper and chill until ready to serve. Serve it on crackers, celery sticks or smeared between two slices of bread – and call it what you want.
- 2 cups coarsely grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cups coarsely grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup drained chopped pimentos or finely chopped roasted red peppers
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix together cheese, pimentos and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper and chill until ready to serve.
If you make this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag us on Instagram or Twitter with #candokitchen.